Sunday, April 27, 2008

Real Live Prophet Essay - draft

Most teenagers in society have experienced situations a typical teenager would often experience. If a mistake is made, it is seldom that a teenager learns from their mistake. Usually, one relies on a friend to cope with their situation, while others repeat the same habit over again till they have learned their lesson. Whether it is about relationships, addictions of drugs or alcohol, getting abused or abusing others, stress, a problem with one’s personality, etc., sooner or later one is confronted about his/her situation by a particular person. This particular person could be his/her friend, teacher, mentor, parent, maybe a stranger who wants to help this teenager from their time of struggle. However, getting help is not always easy. Teenagers’ may seek for some sort of guidance, a revelation of what one can do to improve their life. Based on my middle school and most of my high school years, I have experienced plenty of issues from friends, and a few with relationships where I repeatedly made the same mistakes. I have always looked for help and I possibly had a handful of advice from people who told me what to do with the situation, though I always resisted their ‘revelation’. I tried to find my own revelation by fixing the situation alone, but who would ever thought that my own mother, who does not know what most of my situations, would be the one to help me out about it.
Most teenagers have some sort of boundary with their mother or father whom they cannot tell the truth to them because at times, ‘parents just don’t understand’. When a teenager are in trouble and is confronted by a parent or guardian, he/she tries to go around the situation by making up excuses, denying the fact that something is wrong with him/her. With my mom, I have always tried to push her out of my business. When I was in eighth grade, I had trouble with a friend and would cry about how bad it went. My mom would try to figure out what was wrong with me, though I would always push her out of my business saying there was nothing wrong. Like other friends of mine, she would try to tell me what to do, but I never listened. I always thought that she never went through a situation like mine, who is she to know what I was going through? It was until one day everything went downhill for me. My friend had stopped talking to me for an unknown reason. I came home, crying, and at four o’clock in the after noon I went straight to sleep and woke up the next morning. It was pretty dramatic to me because this had never happened before. My mom woke me up and had asked me once more what was wrong. Again, I denied anything was wrong, assuming she would go away, but she didn’t. She sat next to my bed and told me that it is okay to cry over friends, but if they keep hurting you then you know that he/she is not a true friend. In my mind I am thinking that I already knew that, but she continued talking, explaining how friends will come and go and will not always be around when you want them to be. I found that hard to believe at the time, since I was only an eighth grader. My mom basically told me to be independent when it involved with an issue with any of my friends and to learn from that. My friends were not always going to be there for any kind of situation and if they were my real friend they would have confronted me about the situation if not vice-versa.

No comments: